Monday, March 11, 2013

I had a dream last night


I had a dream last night.
A ringing in the handset.

Mom answered, saying the name of a company
I once owned, many years ago.

"Mom?" I said, wonder in my voice
At the name so old and so far from her, nothing to do with her.

"Yes, dear," she said, as she always did,
The smirk cool water running over my fevered body.

I smiled--in the dream and in my bed,
And fought the waking as I felt my face move.

"It's all the same," she said, "always was.
Just you, something you're doing, me, us."

"Mom," I said again, louder in my head,
Maybe louder in my bed.

"It's okay, dear," she said.  "I'm here.
I'm always here, but now I have to go."

"Mom," I said, the connection blank. I woke
And held the pillow tight and wished for one more dream against the night.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our angels always know when we need them, even if we don't.

Labels

Blog Archive