Saturday, September 29, 2012

A pet peeve about movie soundtracks

Recently, the Colony Theater, an arthouse cinema I quite like, showed as part of its Music at the Movies series a wonderful film, High Fidelity, that has a great soundtrack.  From the first time I saw it in theaters on its theatrical release to this latest viewing, I've wanted to listen to every song the cast plays or mentions.  Fulfilling that desire should be easy:  I should just have to buy the soundtrack.

The problem is, the soundtrack is far from complete.

I want all studios to offer complete soundtracks for all films.

I understand that for some movies, such as High Fidelity, the only way to do that is with a huge, multi-disc set.  I'm fine with that.  I will pay happily to hear all the music in full.

Instead, to get the same effect, I would have to do Web research, assemble a playlist, buy all the albums involved (though admittedly I have most of them), and then finally listen.  I never get around to doing that. 

Come on, studios:  Give us complete soundtracks!


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive