Wednesday, August 17, 2011

On the road again: Renovation (WorldCon), Reno, day 1

Fun facts and lessons from a day of travel, work, and convention going:

Getting up at 4:00 a.m. sucks.

Leaving the house at 4:30 a.m. sucks.

Doing the above on 80 minutes of sleep sucks worse.

I still can't sleep on planes, but I can doze and make horrible noises when startled. I don't believe others near me appreciated the sounds. I don't blame them.

People will call me about email they sent three hours ago or chide me if I happen to talk to them before I have responded to the email--even if I was on a plane during most of those hours. A bit frustrating.

John Picacio did a panel today which the program book said was going to show his process in refining a real cover in progress. I went because he's a friend and, more importantly, an awesome artist. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the cover he was planning to discuss was the one for No Going Back. If you wanted to see his sketch work and his current polished revision--still to undergo more changes--you should have been there. It's very cool work indeed.

The hotel is smooth at upselling food. The cheap place couldn't take four of us for dinner, but the more expensive steakhouse could. The food there, fortunately, was good, as was the company, though I fear I talked too much.

Spokane is bidding for the 2015 Worldcon, which made me sad because of what I'd heard about that city. When I visited their bid party, though, they made a pretty good case for the place. Dunno.

I can't keep up with work without extraordinary effort. No news there, but I was foolishly hoping today would be different.

25.5 hours awake is enough. I'm crashing.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive