Wednesday, February 2, 2011

On the road again: Austin, day 3

Ice everywhere. The high for the day 30, maybe. Stiff winds making it even colder. Pipes frozen all over the place. Rolling power outages.

No, I'm not talking about Boston or Chicago; I wish I were. All of that happened today right here in beautiful Austin, Texas.

WTF?

Meanwhile, back home the high was nearly 70. Go figure.

I, of course, didn't check the weather before heading south. I did, though, pull the lining from my nice warm coat, rendering it little more than a windbreaker.

Shrewd move on my part.

Dinner tonight was at The Driskill Grill, where the chef from last night's meal at Congress used to work. After last night's quite lovely tasting menu, tonight's meal, another tasting menu, suffered greatly by the comparison. Don't get me wrong: the food was good. It just wasn't in the same ballpark as Congress'.

Congress is now on my short list of the best places to eat in Austin, while I won't go back to The Driskill Grill until I hear it's greatly improved.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Will you still be in texas for the superbowl? and will you be attending?

On a related note, who will you be rooting for in the superbowl?

Mark said...

I leave tomorrow, so I will miss the Superbowl.

I'm staying carefully neutral in this one, because I have friends with serious ties to each team.

Labels

Blog Archive