Tuesday, November 30, 2010

In which my brain goes all Zen on me

I was staring at my lunch today--the same as yesterday, a bowl of turkey and rice soup, plus two pieces of dry toast, just what the doctor ordered--when I realized that one could learn valuable basic life lessons from a bowl of soup.

For example, you can learn that you can't gauge a thing's power by its size. The bowl of soup is tiny compared to me, but its energy is enough to warm me through and through.

You can also learn the importance of perspective. If I handed most people an empty soup bowl and told them to fill it with a soup spoon, they would say how stupid the approach was. Give them the same bowl full of soup, however, and emptying it a spoon at a time is only natural.

Of course, the most important lesson is probably that thoughts like these are why people prefer when I'm focused on work during lunch.

5 comments:

Ticia said...

I'm here to tell you how much I love today's blog. And, while I can't speak for your co-workers, I would have no objection to hearing you talk like this at any time.

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words. I suspect, though, that most folks find it simply odd.

Ticia said...

You say that like it's a bad thing. *grin*

Griffin said...

Didn't you hear? Odd is the new COOL.

Mark said...

I missed that memo, Griffin. It's good news for me, though!

Labels

Blog Archive