Monday, February 22, 2010

A one-question quiz

When you see this description on the menu

Double Dog Wrap
Two all beef hot dogs, chili, slaw, and
cheddar grilled in a flour tortilla
do you
(A) declare it the most disgusting dinner option you've seen in a long while
(B) wonder aloud about whether they grill the hot dogs first, the whole thing, or both
(C) consider how many days of your life you'd be sacrificing if you ate it
(D) order it with great glee
(E) all of the above
My answer: (E), of course!

Which, as you might expect, is why I found myself staring at this dish on Saturday night and wondering what I had gotten myself into. Though the photo is a bit dark (I forgot BlogCam and had to rely on my iPhone), I think it will give you at least a hint of the weirdness that was the Double Dog Wrap. The hot dogs themselves were huge and so firm they were more like kielbasa than classic tube steaks. The tortilla was indeed grilled. The vast mess on the inside combined all the key ingredients in a kind of chunky brown semi-liquid substance that you don't want to think about or stare at for long.

The overall flavor combo, though, was pretty good. It wasn't great, but it was a fun, filling, and tasty meal.

In case you're wondering, you can find this mess at The Diner on Glenwood South in Raleigh. The food there was generally okay but no better, so I can recommend the place only if you're up after two a.m. and really need greasy food--or if you just have to try this strange concoction.

As I did.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive