Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On the road again: TED@PalmSprings, day 1

I woke at 6:50 a.m., before my alarm, after less than three hours of sleep and with my back aching and threatening to go out like it did last June. I stretched, did some crunches, and stretched some more. I've been very careful with my back all day long, or at least as careful as one can be on a day with two long plane flights, and so far it's holding up. I'm hoping for a long and healing sleep tonight. We'll see.

Except for the back problem, I can't complain about my travel today. I had an exit-row-aisle seat on the first leg and got a first-class upgrade on the second. Both flights were even a few minutes early and, miracle of miracles, our taxi time in DFW was the lowest I've ever experienced--under ten minutes.

We registered for TED, picked up our amazing bags full of cool gifts (maybe a photo on that tomorrow), and then I worked. I missed the opening concert due to work, but I'm determined to make that the last TED event I miss this trip. We'll see if I succeed.

The hotel/resort is a renovated older resort that is trying to be both modern and Rat Pack retro. So far, it's succeeding: the wireless works everywhere I've been, the conveniences are all modern, and yet you always feel you're walking through a hip joint and could bump into Frank and Dino at any time. It's an odd vibe for a conference like TED.

Dinner was a buffet-style gathering around the resort's smaller pool. The food was passable, and we had several enjoyable conversations--as well as too many calories. Eating well at these things is very hard, at least for someone with my weak food willpower.

A few folks here and on the phone today have asked why I'm back at TED. I answer them all truthfully: because last year's TED played with my head in a good way. I hope this year's sessions do the same.

I'll let you know.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive