Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spoken word

A long time ago, usually on a panel with one or two others, I would do spoken-word/storytelling performances at cons. As I've written here before (I think), I plan to get back into spoken word more seriously. The good folks at Balticon, where I'm a guest, are talking about giving me a chance to do a performance there. So, if you're going to be at that con and they do allot me a panel slot for this odd endeavor, please come by and check me out.

Speaking of coming by, I'm doing a reading at Arisia this coming Friday night at 11:00. If enough folks turn out, and if they want the event to mutate from reading to spoken-word performance, I'll try to come prepared to do the latter. Who knows what might happen?

If you want an example of a spoken word performer whose work I admire, check out Henry Rollins' performances, some of which you can buy on DVD. I don't expect to be as good as he is, but I sure do want to give it a try.

The worst that can happen is that I embarrass myself in front of a bunch of people, and I can live with that. Heck, I've done it before. (My awful ninth grade dance experience comes to mind, but it's far from the only time I've done that.) As long as no one in the audience throws hard fruit--I can handle grapes and other squishy stuff--I should be fine.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive