Friday, November 28, 2008

Draft 2 complete

Late Thanksgiving eve, I finished the second draft of Overthrowing Heaven. I do the third draft on paper, so I had to print two copies of the 512-page manuscript: one for Dave's review, and one for me and the big red binder.

Of course, the toner cartridge died on my black-and-white printer.

Of course, the team that's supposed to make sure I have a spare of all supplies in my home office--a team of which I am obviously a member--had failed to do so.

Off I drove to the office.

Some time later, I had the two manuscripts. I gave Dave his copy yesterday. He has very graciously already started reading and has given me some small corrections and a nice characterization tip. Each of my novels has improved thanks to him, and this one will be no exception.

For those who are curious, the book is now over 134,000 words, about 15,000 words longer than Slanted Jack and easily the longest thing I've ever written.

I'm enjoying my third pass through it, though finding tons of things to improve and often scratching my head in wonder at my own sloppiness and stupidity. I suppose that's par for the course, though I do hate making mistakes and doing less than my best work.

Fortunately, that's why I have passes three and four!

Onward!

4 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Congratulations on finishing! I'm in the "murky middle" of my first draft and slogging through the muck. I'm scheduled to have a finished first draft by the end of February -- or sooner, if I can manage it.

Congrats again! I know that must be a load off of your mind. Plus, now you can shave. ; )

Take care,
Lisa

Mark said...

Alas, I am far from done. I am doing draft 3 now--reviewing the whole book on paper--and getting input from Dave at the same time. I will then key in those changes and in the process make a rough pass four. At that point, I'll be done--or decide to do a fifth pass if something bothers me. But, I'm definitely moving along!

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for where you are, but you know you'll finish! Go, Lisa, go!

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Let's hope that Draft 2 does better than Transporter 3!

Mark said...

Fred, I can promise you that Draft 3 kicks Transporter 3's ass!

Labels

Blog Archive