Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Because sometimes you just have to

I'm working on the end of draft two of Overthrowing Heaven. I'm closing in on it, and now that I'm so close to finishing this pass I know what I must play over and over: Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah."



Leonard Cohen wrote it, and I love his version, but for my money this Jeff Buckley rendition, the one from the album, not any of the live sessions, is the definitive one, the one you must hear. I chose this YouTube post, which isn't a video at all, just an excuse to post the song, precisely so you get Buckley from the ablum.

From the opening breath to the final notes, this song is pure and powerful and gut-wrenching.

What I love about this song is that you can listen to the words and spend as much time as you're willing to devote to it trying to decide exactly what Cohen meant--or you can simply let the sound of it, the mood of it, carry you away and feel it so strongly it overcomes you. No wonder the song appears so often on TV shows and is the subject of so many online postings.

Some songs hit me, reach inside me, and yank out a burbling sun of feelings, an ongoing natural reactor that is constantly on the edge of exploding. I can crank up this song, stand in the middle of a room, close my eyes, and work myself up to the point of almost unbearable emotion, body shaking, eyes squeezed shut, tears leaking.

Why would I do that?

Because life should be that intense sometimes, because art should hit us that hard, because I dream of writing sentences, paragraphs, chapters, books that smack someone else's heart around, that for a second let the two of us stand together in the searing, soaring fire of shared emotion.

It's true: I'm such a teenager still, all these years later.

You know what, though?

I hope I always am.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

His death ocurring so soon after this song being released is just heart breaking, which makes it even more profound. I agree with you. Some songs pull the soul right out of your body. This is one of the them. I hope to always be young enough to feel this way.

Anonymous said...

ooh, thanks so much for sharing! that's my favorite cohen song, and i hadn't listened to buckley's cover in ages. i love what he does with it.

my personal canonical version is john cale's cover - the simplicity just resonates with me somehow. m. gave me the sheet music to his arrangement a couple years ago for christmas; it's one of the few things i can play from memory these days...

- lisa

Mark said...

I can see the case for that and for the K.D. Lang version, which my friend Pam prefers, but I have to continue to give Buckley's album version the nod.

Greg said...

That particular song doesn't do it for me, but I think I understand.

When some art really reaches me, touches something deep, it often leaves me trembling, smiling but with tears running down my face.

There's a writer who's done that to me a number of times, who I believe is a friend of yours. I think I'm going to enjoy your new book.

Mark said...

I hope you do.

Labels

Blog Archive