Saturday, October 18, 2008

The air of smugness

Southpark characters have noted that the air of smugness surrounds hybrid vehicles as they move down the highway. Well, I've joined the people floating in that particular cloud. Some weeks ago, I ordered a 2009 Toyota Prius in what is, according to my salesman, the least popular color--and also the one I like the most by far: bright, metallic blue. I've been considering the change for some time now, and the combination of needing a car for Sarah (she gets my previous vehicle) and wanting to put my money where my mouth is led to this purchase.

For those who've known me for a while, this is obviously a big change. I've long loved sports cars--still do--and have owned several. I'd still own one--the Tesla, to be precise--if I could justify the price and there was a dealer near me. Instead of burning through fuel at a tremendous rate as I push cars to ever faster speeds, however, I'm now working on learning to drive gently and maximizing my MPG.

I'm still learning to take this viewpoint, but I think it's the right thing to do.

What makes the change a great deal easier is that the Prius is full of fun gadgets, computer-based toys that appeal to the geek boy in me. GPS and navigation system, keyless entry, keyless operation, Bluetooth mating with your cell phone--the list goes on and on. I still don't know how to operate most of the goodies, which means I will, to my embarrassment, actually RTFM, but I find all this stuff quite cool.

And, I get to drive in a cloud of smugness.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love the Prius car. It really is cool.

Of course, just when you think you're at the cutting edge of technology/coolness, along comes the next thing:

http://www.dwell.com/daily/blog/30962644.html?

:>)

Top of the line coolness--if, erm, you can stand to go...44 mph at top speeds. Drive that for a few weeks and when you get into your Prius, you'll think it's a sports car!!!!! Oh, the power it will suddenly seem to have!!!!

Mark said...

Yeah, I've seen pictures of that car and other small alternatives. I still need to be able to drive at highway speeds with multiple people, so right now, the Prisu is as good as it gets for me.

Labels

Blog Archive