Friday, June 6, 2008

I'm so embarrassed

Yes, I am. Tonight, at my instigation and with the DVD I purchased, we watched that bit of Japanese cinematic majesty known as The Machine Girl. This flick is easily the most over-the-top, unabashedly fake, violent film to come along in ages.

Check out the trailer:


You know how trailers always contain the most excessive--violent, funny, whatever--parts of the movie? This one doesn't. There's more, lots more than what you see here.

I cringed. I laughed. I whooped. All of us watching the movie did--well, all except the two people who left the room either because the film was too much or they developed good sense; I'm not sure which.

I can't honestly recommend it unless you're the sort of person who's been wondering what would happen if Takashi Miike turned really violent, or how Grindhouse would have looked if Tarantino and Rodriguez hadn't surrendered so easily to good taste and restraint. If you are, though, you'll enjoy The Machine Girl.

I'm embarrassed to say that I did.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive