Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I voted today

and I wore the little sticker that said so until a few minutes ago. I did so because I was happy to have voted, in fact happy to have the chance to vote. A lot of people in a lot of countries don't have that chance, and you can bet your ass that a great many of them wish they did. I'm thrilled that I do.

It pisses me off when people complain about the government but then don't vote. They'll often claim that their vote doesn't matter, and in any given election they may well be right--but not always. As I write this, the race in Indiana between Clinton and Obama is down to about 17,000 votes with 95% of the precincts having reported. That's 17,000 out of almost 2 million votes so far--less than a percent. If you're in Indiana today and you voted in the Democratic primary, your vote definitely counted.

I can't stand the current government, but I love my country. I believe in its resilience, in its people, and in the act of voting, which is one of its foundations.

Regardless of which Democrat wins, come the November presidential election, we'll have two very different candidates. Choose the one you prefer, and make your voice heard: vote.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive