Saturday, April 26, 2008

Harold and Kumar try too hard

One night a while back, Kyle was visiting, and he, Sarah, Scott, and I held a bad-movie double feature. The second film was Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. Though it was dumb and often vile, it often left us all in stitches.

So, it was with an interesting mix of dread and anticipation that tonight Rana, Sarah, Scott, and I headed to the theater to catch Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. This sequel was also dumb and often vile, which we expected, but it was more dumb and more vile than we had anticipated. It also did not leave us in stitches anywhere near often enough. Though we were among the many mindless entertainment seekers who contributed to its opening night box office total, I have to hope the movie doesn't do well enough to prompt a third in the series. This run should end here.

None of that is to say that the flick was without its moments. For example, Neil Patrick Harris' observation of a mythical creature--I won't spoil it for you--was priceless. I also have to mention Kumar's love poem, which was a beautiful encapsulation of the romantic math geek.

Still, I have to encourage you to give this one a pass or, if you must see it (and I do understand that urge), wait for DVD.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive