Thursday, March 6, 2008

Almost there

Late last night, I finished the first pass of the outline of Overthrowing Heaven. I still have to go through my sixty or so pages of handwritten notes to make sure I didn't omit any key stuff, then make a pass over the outline, and then run it by Dave, but I am now in sight of completing this phase of the book.

I have to say that taking three months to reach this point has left me feeling like quite a failure; it's never taken me so long to outline a novel. On the other hand, I think the book will be signficantly stronger than it would have been had I begun writing a month ago, and my ultimate loyalty is to the work.

To which I will now return.

2 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Dave (Drake) is your first reader? Wowza!

As for the three months: it's a learning process. Maybe you have laid the foundations for other books with this one and the next will come easier.

Mark said...

Yeah, I've been very fortunate that Dave has been willing to critique my outlines and second drafts. He's the only person to whom I show the book prior to submitting it for publication. He doesn't tend to provide tons of input, but all of it is choice and quite useful.

Labels

Blog Archive