Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks, the comedian, not the musician, died quite some years ago. I still listen to his work from time to time, and I recall fondly the one evening I had the privilege of seeing him perform live. While checking for another book on amazon.co.uk, I noticed that an expanded edition of Hicks' Love All the People was available there. This volume provides transcripts of many of his bits and shows. Also available there was Agent of Evolution, a Hicks biography by his good friend, Kevin Booth. I recommend both of these if you have any interest in Hicks.

If you don't know his work, pick up one of his DVDs or CDs on Amazon--provided you're okay with adult content and language. If you're a kid, give this stuff a pass until your parents say it's okay. If dirty words or sexual topics bother you, also give it a pass.

The night I saw him live, I was with a group of 15 writers at a writers' conference. We were all blown away by how bright, thoughtful, and, of course, funny Hicks was. Even those who didn't generally go for his brand of humor had to concede his writing talent.

Check out his work.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive