Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The great assistant hunt continues

As I've noted before, we're trying to hire an assistant who will help me with my PT job, with work, and with personal stuff, such as organizing my writing office. We posted the job on craigslist, and we're going to be interviewing at least a few promising applicants.

The question that plagues me is one I've mentioned before: how do you interview for the most important traits, such as intelligence, drive, loyalty, trustworthiness (especially with very confidential material), willingness to do whatever it takes, and so on? I don't know the answer, so I'll end up stumbling around and hoping for the best.

I suppose one test might be to see which of the candidates Googled me, found my site, read my blog, and now know of my dilemma. The Web makes for interesting situations....

4 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

Heh. I would recognize your name, I've even read your book and short works. Heck, I've seen your name in the dedication notes of Drake's books, etc.

Too bad I'm not in the area!!! I'm looking for PT work! SF fan, type 80 WPM, treasurer of local fire department so I need to be organized, etc.!

Dang.

Mark said...

Thanks for reading the novel and the stories. Sorry you're not in the area so we could talk, but we're small enough that we're looking only locally.

Christine Peiffer said...

I'm preparing for my interview and of course i had to Google my prospective employer!
I think loyalty, trustworthiness and willingness to go above and beyond are linked to the core values of a person – That what I would call work ethic, it probably shows in personal life of the candidates (but of course, this is off limits in US) and the interest that the candidate demonstrates toward the hiring company .
I imagine it’s hard to determine these values, I hope many of us have them.
Now, this is also a dilemma that can be reciprocated, how do you determine that the company/boss you are interviewing with will be the right fit? that your skills, work ethic will be appreciated?
Interviews usually show the pretty “face” of a company.

Christine Peiffer

Mark said...

Both sides definitely have challenges learning what they want from an interview. To learn about a company, I suggest checking what's available publicly (not much in the case of our company) and talking with other people who work there.

Labels

Blog Archive