Thursday, October 11, 2007

Things that piss me off

People treating restaurant servers badly.

Sure, sometimes you get an abusive waiter or waitress, or a truly annoying or incompetent one, but not most of the time. Most of the time, the people serving your food are hard working, underpaid, decent people trying to do a difficult job well while frequently covering for kitchen mishaps, the fact that one of your party chose to head to the restroom just as the rest of your food was coming up, and so on.

Yet time and again, I see people yelling at their servers for problems that are not the servers' faults, talking down to servers, using cute but offensive nicknames for them, and so on.

I have no ax to grind here, by the way, nor any history; I've never waited tables. I'm sure I'd be bad at it. I've also not been perfect in this area; I've been a jerk to a server on more than one occasion--though not in a very long time.

Be pleasant to servers, tip them all--that's really practially all their income--and just be a decent human with them. You and they will be better for the effort--and I will be less pissed off.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive