Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Deer

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again: Bill Watterson was right when via Calvin & Hobbes he commented that there's magic everywhere.

We set out to walk today a bit after 11:00 a.m. The temperature and humidity were both already in the 90's, with the heat index over 95 (all Fahrenheit). We reached the last downhill stretch of the half mile headed away from my house, and there at the foot of the small hill, standing in the middle of the road, were three deer, a mother and her two very young children. We kept walking but slowed our pace, and for a few magic moments they stayed there, oblivious of everything, paying us no obvious heed and staying still in the hot morning.

Then, quite correctly, they ran into the woods.

Made my morning.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive