Thursday, August 2, 2007

Another day, another fine dinner

Tonight's culinary treat was at The Heathman Restaurant & Bar, which by happy change of plans happens to be downstairs in our hotel. We had requested ahead of time a tasting menu, and Sous Chef Phil Oswalt (I hope I have the right name; I did not get a card) and his team obliged us.

I took photos of every dish, and if energy permits I may someday upload them, but I'm tired and so a list of courses will have to suffice:

- Kumomoto oysters Rockefeller
- Offal terrine (duck) with wild arugula and egg yolk
- foie gras (seared perfectly) with PBJ (and a demitasse of milk)
- roasted and confit duck with sweet corn crepe
- roasted rack of lamb (flawlessly prepared) with eggplant serrano ham and goat cheese pocket and with artichoke heart with fava beans
- epoisses en crote with serrano ham sandwich
- sampler of five desserts, including creme brulee flaming as it arrived, tiramisu, homemade maple (I'm not sure) ice cream with chocolate sauce, berry compote, and flourless chocolate cake

You get the idea.

I'm not an eggplant fan, but the eggplant pocket with serrano ham and goat cheese was perhaps the most revelatory thing I had, combining tastes one rarely sees with eggplant into an absolutely marvelous dish with great flavor and mouth feel.

Wow, am I fat.

Of course, I burned off my whole dinner (okay, five calories of it) by walking all the way up to the corner and snapping a picture of the theater marquis across the street. Top of the sign, which I hope to post some other time, was this one-line movie tease:

Knocked Up Transformers

Now that's a group whose mood swings could be really scary.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive