Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hustle and Green Snake

A couple of DVD recommendations for you:

First, a British TV show, Hustle. A long-con team of grifters are our stars, and they generally win, so the premise alone may offend some. They are also, as you'd expect, prettier, smarter, nicer, better dressed, and generally spiffier than most real criminals. The plots are fun, though not particularly innovative. Despite all that, I greatly enjoy the execution, from the odd moments in which actors step out of time to the performances of all the key stars.

Second, and with reservations, the Tsui Hark film, Green Snake, which we watched tonight at our frequent Chinese & Chinese gatherings. I'm sure if I spoke Chinese and was properly versed in this film genre I would be touched by the romantic and moral story. Instead, I found the visuals great fun and both the plot and the subtitles at times so funny that I kept watching.

Don't ask me for your money back, though, if you hate 'em both.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive