Thursday, May 17, 2007

Collecting restaurants, Portland, and rain on skylights

I collect restaurants. Well, to be accurate, I collect memories, and sometimes notes, of meals at great restaurants. (The restaurants themselves simply wouldn't fit in my office, even though it is a big room). On my trip to Portland, OR last week, I ate at three I recommend: Higgins, Paley's Place, and the restaurant at the Heathman Hotel. All three emphasize the use of locally grown, raised, and caught ingredients, and all three meals were quite good. I have to give the nod overall to Paley's Place, but that might change in the future: our server at the Heathman swore that he would arrange a tasting menu the next time I was in town. I look forward to it.

It's raining tonight, and the sound of the rain on the skylights in my office always makes me smile and remember my childhood in Florida, when showers often came around six o'clock and brought the evening cool with them. Good sounds for writing, to which I must return.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive