Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A new accusation


Over at Goodreads, a comment on my blog from yesterday surprised me with a new accusation:

Why are all authors communist? 

As I said in response there, "I'm not. I'm a Democrat. Not at all the same thing."

I know quite a few writers, and very few identify as communist, so I find the question as a whole baffling.

In today's highly polarized America, though, I probably should not be at all surprised.  We seem ever more intolerant of those who disagree with us.

Such a shame.




5 comments:

Mark P said...

Interesting.

Having read the blogs of a few Baen authors I'd say there was a spread of political ideology from Eric Flint to Tom Krautman.
If anything I'd say the bias was to the right, but then I'm from the UK and almost all US politics is to the Right.

Mark said...

Indeed, Baen writers are all over the map politically, but the popular association with them is as being far right. I am not in that group.

Mark P said...

I think the perception that Baen writers are to the right is largely due to the vocal ones with higher social media profile being to the right.
Authors like Eric Flint seem 'quieter' that authors such as John Ringo and Larry Correia.
The big name such as David Drake and David Webber seem to have a very low profile.

Mark said...

Could well be.

Rosanne said...

Hmmm. I read an author's books cause I LIKE them! I've found out both disturbing (to me) and fantastic (to me) things about different authors. I still read the books. When I know something and re-read a book, it gives me insight into where that author is coming from. Understanding is a good thing. Polarization isn't.

Labels

Blog Archive