Sunday, October 29, 2017

A little over five years ago


my sister, Liza, sent me this paperweight, which Mom had kept by her computer in home after home. 

Click the image to see a larger version.

I wrote this blog entry after seeing the paperweight.

Over the intervening time, this half dome slid a bit behind the keyboard, so I rarely notice it. 

Today, as I was working at home, Greg Holden's "Lost Boy" began playing just as I grabbed a notebook and bumped the paperweight into view.

I found myself once again lost in staring at this little boy I cannot remember.  I hate having no memories before age ten, that I cannot recall this boy or the life he led, that in less than five years he would have been in a dozen fights and was being beaten daily and was puking on the ground while a Marine ground his boot into that kid's face.

If you wonder why I write so much about child abuse and victims of abuse of all kinds, stare at that kid and think about what abuse took from him. 

Took from me. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your works of good are so appreciated by so very many, you’re a very good man despite the horrors that you suffered. I for one am very sorry that you had to go through all of that and I appreciate all that you do to make us all aware of the child abuse issues, past, present and unfortunately probably future. But on a lighter note in sure is a handsome little thing.

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Labels

Blog Archive