Sunday, September 24, 2017

Happy birthday, Dave!


My friend, Dave, held his annual birthday pig-picking today, and it was a fun affair indeed.  Many, many people attended, many brought food to share, and Dave provided the cooked pig.  Kyle and I broke it down and sent tray after tray of meat upstairs to the hungry crowd, folks mingled and chatted, and everyone seemed to have a very good time.

I've been going to this party for something like 32 years, give or take.  People have come and gone from the party crowd, but many regulars have stayed throughout the years.  Some people I met there as kids now attend with their children.  The party serves as a reminder and celebration of not just age but also of the value of being part of a community, however odd that community may be and however infrequently it may gather.

So, Dave, happy birthday, and for both of us--for all of us who attend--I hope you keep holding the pig-picking for years and years and years to come.




1 comment:

Rosanne said...

I hope I get to attend again. I had a wonderful time! And I got to meet the famous (infamous?) Kyle. ( just joking around). I got to meet some great folks and see people I met previously.

I too, hope David Drake has many more happy years ahead!

Labels

Blog Archive