Monday, August 4, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy


is everything a summer action blockbuster should be.  Blending action, humor, interesting characters, and enough honest emotion to keep you involved, it is a rollicking good time that you absolutely should not miss.

I'm not going to lie to you:  The movie is also dumb, irreverent, giddy with its universe and itself, not entirely self-consistent, and definitely not above using its wonderful soundtrack or easy-to-invoke feelings to tug at your heartstrings.

I don't care about any of that.  Director and co-writer James Gunn remembers that movies can be full of fun and wonder, that we can both care and laugh, and he delivers on all those fronts.

The trailers have already told you more than you need to know about the plot, so I'm not going to add any spoiler.

Get to a theater and catch Guardians of the Galaxy.  You'll be glad you did--and there's a very good chance you'll leave with at least one of its classic songs playing in your head.

4 comments:

old aggie said...

So jealous! I'm not alowing myself to see this awesome movie till current work deadlines are met - motivation!
On the other hand, in a couple weeks a foundation in town has arranged for a free big-screen showing of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," my all-time favorite film. For sure I'll have this work done by then. :-)

Mark said...

Enjoy both films as soon as you can!

Rosanne said...

Thanks for the review. I plan to see this movie as soon as I can. I'm still looking for a job, and also, about to begin volunteering doing computer work for a no-kill shelter. Please let everyone know your take on the second Purge movie. I always look forward to your reviews. Your reviews are one of the ways I decide between going to a movie theater or waiting till the DVD comes out.

Mark said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Will do on the Purge movie, though with me leaving tonight for London, I'm not sure when I'll see it.

Labels

Blog Archive