Monday, November 11, 2013

My thanks to our veterans on Veterans Day


I never had to fight for our country, nor was I ever in the military.  I came close to being drafted after high school, but Nixon canceled the draft before I had to show up.  I was and am very grateful for that.  It may be the only thing I like about Nixon.

I've had my share of disagreements with our government about its choices of wars in my lifetime.  As I've written before, I've never felt we should have gone into Viet Nam, nor do I think we were right to invade Iraq, to pick but two examples of where I think politicians have made the wrong choices.

I have, however, never blamed the men and women who've served our country for those choices.  They signed up to do military service, and politicians sent them off to fight.

I tremendously respect and appreciate the service those men and women did.  Though I believe I can never fully understand the prices they paid, through veteran friends and family, including Dave and my stepfather, Ed, as well as via my own PTSD, I have a tiny inkling of that cost. I know they will continue to pay for the rest of their lives. 

On this day, let us thank our vets and honor them.  We cannot thank them enough.

Let us also push our government to take better care of them when they return from active service. 

They have more than earned that care and our thanks.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive