Sunday, September 15, 2013

On whining and writing and Deb's comment


A while ago, I wrote a post from the WorldCon in which I talked about never having even been nominated for a Hugo, much less winning one.  Deb, who comments from time to time but whom I do not know (I think; one never knows for sure with screen names) commented that at least I was published, that she was coming to fear she never would be.  Her comment was very supportive, but it's stuck with me because it made clear to me that I was whining.  As writers do, from time to time.  As I do here, from time to time.

I hate when I whine.  I don't like whining from others, but I despise it when I do it. 

Deb, thank you for making me think about this.  I do hope you get published one day.  My only advice that might help that happen is the only advice that I believe matters: 

Write. 

Finish what you write. 

Send it out. 

Repeat.

For me, the same advice applies.  It's all any of us can do, really.  Yeah, we can promote our work and do social media and go to cons and on and on, but in the end, none of that matters at all compared to just producing our best work and seeing how readers respond. 

Whining is conduct unbecoming, and it's useless, so I shouldn't do it.  I'd love to say I'll never whine again about not winning awards, or not selling more copies of my novels, or not writing better, or whatever other things my writer brain wants to whine about, but I'd be lying.  I'm sure I'll whine again.  I will, however, do my best to minimize the whining, and I encourage you all to call me on it when I do. 


2 comments:

Deb said...

Hi Mark, I've seen you in person, but I'm just one of those faces out in the audience.

Query: When did facing reality become whining? Oh the PR happy-joy-joy spin negative into positive abounds everywhere, but the cold reality of numbers puts a damper on the positive spin affirmations which feed dreams.

I've hear the advice you gave, and I finish and send out. That's more than most dreamers do. However the numbers of publishing are harsh, and it's a bit daunting. I don't consider facing them whining.

And heaven knows, I didn't consider you a whiner, but wistful. Considering how much other things you have done, including putting your time and money where your mouth is on helping people, well, that's just AWESOME.

Mark said...

First, Deb, please, the next time you're in an audience, come up and introduce yourself so I have a face to go with the comments.

I think I was whining. I'm glad you didn't, but I feel that way. I appreciate you feeling nicer about it.

Labels

Blog Archive