Sunday, March 31, 2013

Healing, a reunion with an old friend


I took it pretty easy today after the longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep--over eight hours--that I've enjoyed in months.  (I logged rather significantly more rack time, but with interruptions.)  My stomach is not back to normal, but the fever is largely gone (I say "largely" only because I soaked the sheets in the night) and I am feeling better.  I am also eating quite carefully and lightly, which is good in any case. 

One of the hardest goals for me of this trip is to live, not to tourist.  So, if I want to spend only a few hours walking because I need to rest, that is okay, not a failure.  I'm working to accept that. 

When Sarah and I were here six years ago, we were walking through the streets when rain began to fall.  We ducked into a nearby church and discovered some amazing art.  That church proved to be Santa Trinita, which is indeed a wonderful place.  I visited it again today, this time intentionally, and spent a pleasant bit of time admiring the artwork it contains.  Though not on the list most people mention when they discuss Florence, I quite recommend it; the wonderful pieces by Domenico Ghirlandaio are reason enough for the trip. 

Tomorrow, April begins, and I haven't the slightest clue when I will wake up or what I will do for the day.  I very much like that. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive