Wednesday, October 14, 2009

On the road again: Bouchercon, Indianapolis, day 1

A long time ago, I learned that sometimes the right thing to do is to write what you feel, what you really feel, in the coarsest, most direct language, and then save the draft but not yet show it to anyone. Instead, put aside the draft and wait a day. Open it then, and if you still want to show the text to the target audience, go for it.

The point is not to let a bad mood or a flush of anger or whatever emotional spike you're experiencing cause you to do something stupid or, if not stupid, that you might regret later.

I slept 2.5 hours last night, worked an insane amount today, had almost no con experience, and will sleep little tonight (it's 4:45 a.m. as I write this), so this is one of those moments when I'm going to take my own advice, share that advice with you (as I just did), and sign off.

More tomorrow, and more interesting.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive