Saturday, December 13, 2008

One event, two reactions

When our plane landed in Portland, the flight attendant asked everyone on the plane to stay in their seats "while our soldiers returning home get a chance to be the first to reach Portland." Everyone complied, and the passengers spontaneously applauded as several soldiers walked down the aisle.

I had two very different, very strong, and immediate reactions.

I was happy that people were so supportive of our troops.

I was sad for my friend, David Drake, and for all the other Viet Nam veterans who came home to people spitting on them and calling them baby killers.

Both wars were, in my opinion, ill-conceived and wrongheaded. I did not and do not support either war. Both caused untold physical and psychological damage to our troops and to those who live in the countries where we fought. In both, however, the soldiers were simply citizens doing what they perceived to be their duty. They did the best they could in situations more awful than most of us will ever encounter, and they paid a huge price. The living are still paying it. They will until they die.

Consequently, though I want us to end this war as quickly as possible, I had no problem clapping for these returning Iraq War veterans. They've earned our support.

I do wish someone had done the same for Dave and the other returning Viet Nam vets. They also earned our support.

3 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

There are those among us who do honor our Vietnam vets. For an absolutely moving experience, for example, I suggest a visit to the Wall.

My National Guard unit had several Vietnam vets in it. Those who did not listen to them and gain from their experience were idiots.

(As for that Drake fella, I just keep buying his books...)

Mark said...

I agree, Fred: Some do honor the Viet Nam vets, just not enough.

And I know Dave appreciates you buying his books.

Maria said...

My thanks go to Dave, those that served with him and those that serve today.

Labels

Blog Archive