Thursday, November 20, 2008

On the road again: Austin, day 3

The hotel is intensifying its hate campaign against me.

The bandwidth has turned from bad to teasingly bad: working for a few seconds, then cutting out entirely, then sending an entire message as if it were an actual broadband connection, and then sneering at my Outbox queue.

Not content to hurt me only while I'm here, the hotel has now contacted the Schlotzsky's, whose reliable bandwidth of yesterday is now a distant dream. Today, it cut out at a crucial moment in an email interchange, failing entirely, the network itself gone. Some may think it's a coincidence, but I know the hotel is behind it.

The housekeeping staff has joined the battle, too. Today, they stole a bathrobe; fortunately, one was in reserve. They didn't clean the room until late in the afternoon, when I needed to be working in it. I now have to check my towels for scorpions; good thing I'm vigilant.

On the water combat front, I'm sad to report that my shower has game. No longer content to behave randomly, it is now directly targeting me, staying warm until I'm fully under it, then cutting immediately to freezing and from there in mere seconds to scalding.

I hate this hotel. It hates me. I will beg for crash space from friends before I will ever stay here again.

Dinner saved the day by being an excellent time with client friends at Uchi, a sushi place I recommend enthusiastically. I would list for you everything the five of us tried, but I honestly can't remember it all. Suffice to say that we spent enough that as we were leaving the wait staff began dancing and singing that the recession was over.

The bandwidth issues this trip are costing me hours each day, so I must cut short this rant, take last night's coughed-up, slimy chicken and poodle, which we finally trapped, tack them to the floor of my room, and sacrifice them to the hotel's bandwidth gods.

If those demonic creatures judge my little critters to be tasty enough, perhaps I'll even get to send some mail.

Lucky me.

4 comments:

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

You're sounding more and more like a character in an early David Lynch flick. You sure they didn't put chemicals in your shower...or your barbeque?

And today's comment moderation codeword is SURETEST.

Mark said...

Ouch, Fred. That hurts. Just say you don't mean Eraserhead.

No chemicals as far as I know.

As far as I know.

Frederick Paul Kiesche III said...

O.K., then...your sounding like "Mulder" in the one episode of X-Files where "they" were putting stuff (it's always they!!!!) into his drinking water...

I'm thinking of canceling any future visits to Texas, as much as I love the food.

Mark said...

Keep going to Texas, and keep enjoying the BBQ. Just avoid the Omni hotels at all cost.

Labels

Blog Archive