Saturday, August 5, 2017

Bat Out of Hell: The Musical


Well, that happened.

Click an image to see a larger version.

Yes, as a long-time fan of this great album, Steinman's music, and, embarrassingly, Meat Loaf, I could not miss this show once I knew I'd be in London.


The reviews called the show correctly:  great songs (we knew that), a cast that did them justice (some were weak, some were merely good, but the lead was extremely strong, and no one sucked), lots of spectacle, and a weak story to hold it all together.

When the cast broke into the finale number ("I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That)"), I have to admit that the show had won my heart and even brought a tear of joy to my eyes.  I was particularly happy to see that in addition to the two main male-female couples getting together, the choreography included male-male, female-female, and even a poly (three people) group celebrating their love.

Love is love, folks, and the more we celebrate it in all its forms, the more we acknowledge that we are all free to love anyone of any type we want, the better the world will be.

I would have bought a cast CD if there was one, but, alas, it does not exist, so I opted instead for a program.

While roaming the streets for a while after the show, I came across this lovely establishment.


It almost made me wish I drank alcohol.

As happy coincidence would have it, over on an edge of Covent Garden, a street singer was doing a passable cover of Neil Young's "Hey Hey My My."  I enjoyed hearing "rock and roll will never die" not long after watching a rock musical.

Finally, for the many folks who sent me notes asking what I would do now that Coca-Cola is phasing out Coke Zero, I'm happy to report that here in London I am already embracing the future.


It's pretty much Coke Zero, a little softer but not different in any way I care about.

So, I'll be good on the soda front as the Coke people make this brand change.

I had planned to end the blog there, but after an early dinner--I do plan to crash hard tonight--I emerged from a nearby Indian restaurant just in time to catch this amazing sky.


The pink area in the middle was the star of the moment; I fear my phone photo does not do it justice.








4 comments:

steveburnett said...

Sounds like a great time, I'm glad you could go.

Mark said...

Thanks. It was fun, and I'm glad I got to see it.

Unknown said...

Try smiling.

The sky does look beautiful even through your phones camera eye.

Mark said...

Believe it or not, that is not my resting murder face. I'm doing better than that in this pic. My resting face comes in two versions: I will kill you, and, when I'm really focusing, I will you hard. Here, I was being as happy in front of a camera as I can be, which is to say not at all.

Labels

Blog Archive