Wednesday, August 31, 2016

DragonCon warm-up


The drive to Atlanta proceeded largely uneventfully, for which I was grateful.  The only exception was the usual terrible traffic that hit about ten miles from the hotel, but I've come to expect that.

Dinner was another wonderful meal at Kevin Gillespie's great restaurant, Gunshow.  All the dishes we shared were very good, but two were particularly delicious.  The first combined housemade pasta they infused with saffron and lemon, a sauce made from fish stock and uni, and both heirloom tomatoes and local butter beans.

Click an image to see a larger version.

Wow, was it good (and way smaller than the picture makes it appear: almost all the dishes are the size of traditional appetizers).

The other standout was a dish that mixed Thai peanut sauces and various vegetables and peppers with Kobe beef tartare.


The peanut sauce base meshed perfectly with the meat.  I was amazed at how good the combination was.

I took a late-evening stroll from my hotel down to the Hyatt and Marriott.  Though the con hasn't officially started yet, hundreds of people were already filling the Marriott lobby, chatting and modeling their costumes and having a great time.


The most popular costume by my count was, to no one's surprise, Harley Quinn.

Tomorrow, I expect a much bigger crowd.





No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive