Friday, June 21, 2013

On the road again: Portland, day 5


As if waking up at 5:00 a.m. wasn't bad enough, at 6:30 a.m. TSA took away my jam.

To be fair to them, I was breaking the rules, but, really, jam?  Friends David and Deb had put up some jam they'd made from Mount Hood strawberries, which are supposed to be fantastic.  They gave me a small jar.  I didn't think to pack it with my liquids, so when the very nice TSA guy asked if I by chance had packed a container of jam, I admitted that I had and apologized.  He checked it out, declared it to be too big, and confiscated it.  He was nice throughout the process, but, really, a small bottle of homemade jam?  I offered to taste it as proof it was just jam, but that's not allowed.  I then suggested he take it, so at least someone would get to enjoy it, but that's not allowed, either.

Ah, well. 

Once through security, the rest of the day went well.  The flights were remarkably uneventful and comfortable, thanks to first-class upgrades on both legs.  I worked every second I could, so when I landed at home this evening, I wasn't terribly far behind.  Lunch in DFW was a delicious barbecue brisket sandwich at a relatively new Salt Lick installation; what a treat!

I am now remarkably tired, so to bed I go.




2 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Dangerous stuff, jam, especially in the hands of a clear religious fanatic like yourself.
John

PS Did they confiscate the fizzing shoes as well?

Mark said...

No, they left me my shoes.

Labels

Blog Archive