Friday, August 24, 2012

On the road again: Portland, day 4

I'm home, which is a very nice place to be indeed.  I actually got some sleep last night, nearly eight hours, which was also quite nice.

Most of today went to travel.  On these days, I divide the trip into a series of steps, and I focus only on the one in front of me.  Get up.  Check.  Catch up on email.  Check.  Pack.  Check.  Shower.  Dress.  Check out of hotel.  Drive to airport.  Drop off rental car.  Get boarding pass and check luggage.  Get to security.  Go through security.  Check check check check check check check check.  And on and on.  One foot in front of the other, Marine, as I heard first when I was ten.

The first flight was a mixed bag.  On the one hand, I was in an exit-row seat, which is awesome.  On the other hand, I was on the window, and the guy next to me checked in at six-five and 320 easy, probably more.  Even though we leaned as far from each other as we could manage, his left shoulder and my right shoulder became better friends than either of us wanted.

DFW brought the delicious Red Mango parfait, which I ate in a chair with no one touching me.  Both were excellent experiences.

On the second flight, I lucked into a first-class upgrade, so I was able to work in comfort and have all the Diet Coke (no Coke Zero, alas) I wanted.

Our flight was slightly over an hour late, but it landed safely, and our bags eventually came off the carousel, so it's hard to complain.

And I'm home.

No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive