Wednesday, August 22, 2012

On the road again: Portland, day 2

Most of today went to work, as you would expect from one of these trips. 

At lunchtime, however, I took a longish break and wandered among the vendors at the mid-week farmers' market near the hotel, cut through a lovely craft shop, and wound my way to the food trucks.  After walking the one-block-square circuit of trucks, I settled on a delicious three-cheese grilled-cheese sandwich to which I opted to have them add a fried egg and some thick-cut bacon.  Damn, it was good.

A rare lunch-time dessert was a Ruby Jewel ice cream sandwich back on the edge of the farmers' market, a new flavor--dark chocolate cookie with salty caramel ice cream--that was obviously too good to resist. 

I ate the cookie while sitting on a bench staring through the slowly rustling leaves of the huge trees at the perfect pale blue sky beyond, an image I captured with my iPhone and will share later, time and bandwidth permitting.

I could have sat there all day.

Dinner was a delicious, as always, meal at Castagna, where Executive Chef Justin Woodward beautifully merges modernist cuisine techniques with local ingredients.  If you live here or visit here, you owe it to yourself to give this place a try. 

I'd post more, but it's the middle of the night (despite what the timestamp says), and more work awaits, so I'm outta here. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive