Monday, May 15, 2017

Colossal intrigues and ultimately satisfies


Most films today follow entirely predictable paths. When you enter the theater, though you won't guess every detail of the storyline, you will already know the shape of the plot and the outline of the ending. Colossal is not one of those movies. As long as you don't read any spoilers, you are unlikely to see just where this one is going, much less how it ends.

Consequently, I don't want to tell you much about the plot. I will say that it's SF, but SF in the here and now, where the fantastic element takes a while to assert itself. I will also say that the acting and directing are strong and both contribute beautifully to the film's growing tension. I expected a good turn from Anne Hathaway, but I was pleasantly surprised by what an excellent performance Jason Sudeikis turned in. The film is quiet, at least most of the time, but it is still compelling.

I very much recommend Colossal, but go with as little knowledge of the movie as you can. This one deserves more attention than it has gotten.





No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive