Friday, October 7, 2016

The Girl on the Train


I have not read the bestselling book behind this movie, and I avoided spoilers, so I went into it with no more knowledge of its plot than what the trailers revealed.  I'm glad I did that, and I encourage you to do the same, should you also not know the story.  Though reactions in our group were decidedly mixed, I enjoyed the film and found it interesting from start to finish.

The movie's story unfolds in bits and pieces that jump around in time, a nice device for a mystery but one that can lead to confusion.  Fortunately, I didn't find this one at all confusing, and the pieces built slowly to an interesting conclusion.

What really makes The Girl on the Train worth watching, though, is Emily Blunt's excellent performance.  To avoid spoilers I will say only that she is completely convincing throughout a complex series of scenes that involve many aspects of her character.

I will warn that if you are seeking a movie with characters you can consistently like, this one is not for you.  No one here is without flaws, and many of the flaws are serious indeed.

If you're in the mood for a tense mystery, check out The Girl on the Train.







No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive