Sunday, September 25, 2016

The birthday pig-picking


At a time near his birthday each year, Dave holds a celebratory pig-picking.  A group of us gather at his house to enjoy an entire slow-cooked pig, as well as various dishes that people bring as contributions to the meal.  This year's pig-picking took place today, and it was a fine example of its type.

Dozens of folks showed up to enjoy the party and the meal, and I have to say that it was a particularly delicious pig.  Kyle and I cut up the meat today, a process that involves standing over a low table and hacking away at a beast that deserves better butchering skills than we possess--but that was incredibly tasty nonetheless.  I meant to take pictures, but I messed up and failed to do so.  Sorry about that.

I've been going to these events for a few decades now, and I've always enjoyed them.  Most of all, I'm struck time and again by how very lucky I am to have friends with whom I get to enjoy a broad range of traditions.

Happy birthday, Dave!



No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive