Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Range 15


Earlier tonight, a group of us went to a one-night, 540-theater premiere of this utterly insane film.

Do not watch this trailer if violence or sick humor bothers you.



This movie started as an Indiegogo project, gained other support, and is now obviously real.  A group of nine veterans launched the project, and it's tied to a Durham firm, Ranger Up.  At this premiere, two of the nine, including Nick Palmisciano, who seems to be the leader, introduced the movie and held a Q&A session afterward.

I didn't know any of this when I bought our group's tickets.  I knew only that the movie was about zombies, looked batshit crazy, and was somehow tied to vets.

They had me at zombies.

Overall, I had a good time and enjoyed the movie.  Predictably, it's amateurish in many ways, and the non-professional actors definitely come across as such.  They kill zombies, though, and they do so with great glee, so you have to like that.

The film goes out of its way to find ways to be offensive, and it's so full of vet jokes that I suspect I missed 75% of them.  No political correctness exists here, and violence and foul language are the orders of the day.

I can't tell you to go to the theater and see it, because this was a one-night gig.  I can say that if they hold another one-night show (they said that was possible), it's worth your time, even if only as a weird experience.  Ditto the purchase of the DVD, when it appears in August.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about all of it, but overall I am glad to have had the experience.



No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive