Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wilber's Barbecue remains an NC treasure


On the drive home from Kinston today, I stopped for lunch at a place I haven't visited in year's, Wilber's Barbecue in Goldsboro.  I remembered Wilber's as the source of a particularly smoky and tasty variety of pulled pork.  When I first ate there so long ago, it was the best North Carolina pulled pork I'd tasted, but I've eaten a lot of pulled pork since that time.

I'm happy to report that though Wilber's continues to be nothing special on the outside, its pulled pork barbecue is, for my taste, the best in the state.

Click an image to see a larger version.

Rich, tangy, smoky, and moist, this meat was as perfect a version of pulled pork as I've ever had.  I'm not much of a slaw fan, but this slaw provided a perfect counterpoint to the slightly spicy meat.  The hush puppies were also exemplars of their type, hot and not greasy but completely delicious.

You also have to love the decor.


Seriously, I felt happier the moment I walked into the place, and I got happier when the server greeted me with classic southern hospitality.

A homemade strawberry shortcake, which featured fresh berries from a nearby farm, was on offer, so of course two of us had to try it.


"Ya'll eat this quick before the Cool Whip melts," the server said, and we did.  As much as I love perfectly flavored whipped cream, I was fine with this dish using Cool Whip.  It just seemed perfect.  Every bite was delicious.

If you're anywhere near Wilber's, make a detour and treat yourself to some amazing pulled pork.

If that shortcake is still on the menu, grab some of it as well.  You can thank me later.





No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive