Friday, July 3, 2015

Terminator Genisys: Big, dumb fun


Do not go to this movie if you are seeking a plot that makes sense.  Do not go if you are seeking good acting, though Emilia Clarke does a credible turn as Sarah Connor.  Do not go if you're seeking a mental challenge.

Do go, however, if you'd like to turn off your brain for a couple of hours and watch things, in the immortal words of Billy Bob Briggs, blow up real good.

The film is both a reboot of the Terminator franchise and an ode to the first installment in that series.  Arnold is back, but through the magic of this-makes-no-fucking-sense-whatsoever, he's now a good-guy terminator whom Clarke affectionately calls "Pops."  Oh, yeah:  he's her daddy.  Not physically, of course, but emotionally.

Did I mention the movie makes no sense?

The effects are good, the many villains are interesting, and I do love watching Clarke.  Arnold trying to learn to show emotion also provides some high points.  I enjoyed myself.

Just don't go without being clear on what you're signing up for.



2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Thanks for the review. I have a free small popcorn ticket I need to use before it expires. This might just be a good 'popcorn' movie! ��

Mark said...

I believe it would be.

Labels

Blog Archive