Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockinjay, - Part 1


is the beginning of a fun and reasonable end to this series of movies, but it is just that:  the beginning of the end.  It is not the end, not any sort of conclusion at all.  The movie stops simply because a little over two hours have passed and something dramatic occurred; nothing comes to any sort of real resolution.

I knew that going in, so I didn't mind, but it is the key factor to consider in whether to see this one in the theater. 

As for the half of the final film that this installment is, as I said, it's a fun ride.  Jennifer Lawrence turns in her usual strong performance.  The supporting cast is generally good, though Julianne Moore, as the President of District 13, plays the role so coldly that it's hard to imagine anyone ever electing her.  We get action and sentiment in reasonable measures, with a just barely tolerable amount of angsting to fill the spaces. 

I'm glad I went, and I'll go see the final chapter next November.  If you are like me and don't mind waiting for the last film, check it out.  Otherwise, catch it on DVD next year right before you head to the theater for Part 2.



No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive