Saturday, October 11, 2014

Hector and the Search for Happiness


The critical summary for this movie at RottenTomatoes is that Simon Pegg remains appealing but the movie is too schmaltzy, a summary that reflects the film's 31% critical rating.  The audience rating, though, is 66%, which jibes rather well with its 6.6 rating at IMBD

I'm with the audience. 

I loved this movie.  Pegg's performance was the best I've ever seen from him.  Though the film's very existence immediately summons fears of sentimentality, it did a good job of wandering in and out of that territory just as its protagonist's own feelings did. 

I don't want to spoil the movie for you, so I'll leave you with this:  Though the critics certainly can make a case for their opinion, I believe they're wrong, that there is still room for a film with good heart and strong feelings, that though there may be no simple answers to complex questions, sometimes, just sometimes, for each of us a simple answer may be the only answer to a very complex question. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive