Thursday, July 24, 2014

On the road again: Portland, day 4


Work filled most of today, as usual.  An unusual treat was the time to walk to the nearby food trucks for lunch.  I chose a sandwich from The Grilled Cheese Grill

Click an image to see a larger version.

This place offers exactly what its name implies:  grilled cheese sandwiches. 


I was eating my first meal of the day, so I opted for the breakfast/lunch sandwich, The Hunter.  Wow, was it delicious, exactly what I wanted given the cool, gray skies. 

I have to confess to completely enjoying the cooler days here.  A break from summer is always nice.

Dinner was at one of my all-time favorite restaurants, Le Pigeon.  Though Chef Gabriel Rucker was not on duty--he was doing a charity event--this meal was probably the best I've ever had at this restaurant.  Every single bite was amazingly good. 

The menu reflected both the place's personality and many of the great flavors available in summer ingredients. 


I started with the butter lettuce salad, which tasted even better than it looked--and it was lovely.


I couldn't resist the Hawai'i - Foie - O appetizer, so I moved to it next. 


Though the dish featured a lot of ingredients, they blended beautifully, so that every bite was a taste treat.

I probably should have stopped there, but of course I did not.  For my main, I chose the foie gras chorizo stuffed quail. 


Talk about a lot of flavors going on!  This one had three sauces, chicken chorizo stuffing laced with foie, and so many wonderful tastes that I spent a bit of time just trying to understand them all.  Once again, each mouthful of food was delicious, and the more different ingredients I tried at once, the better the bite tasted. 

I should have walked away right then, but this appeared in front of me. 


The pie of the day has become a bit of a thing at Le Pigeon, so of course I had to try the apricot boysenberry cream pie with vanilla bean ice cream.


Once again, every bite was amazing.

Well done, Le Pigeon!

If you live here or visit here, you're cheating yourself if you don't stop by this great restaurant. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive