Saturday, July 19, 2014

Home--and the beach movie report


Though I was sad to leave the beach and still miss it, I am glad to be home.  I depart for a work trip Monday morning on an early flight, so I don't have long here, barely enough time to unpack and then repack, but I knew that was coming.

The next two months will contain a ton of travel.  I signed up for it, but at times it is nonetheless daunting.

In news of the beach movies, the night before our early-morning departure, a small group of us watched this classic.  

Click an image to see a larger version.

Or maybe not a classic; you decide.

While at the beach, our hearty group, in various sub-groups, watched these 21 cinematic gems.


I must confess that not all of these gems are equally shiny.

The order in which they appear here, by the way, has nothing to do with the order in which we viewed them.

We also caught Snowpiercer via Amazon and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes at a local theater, and we devoted the bulk of three evenings to UFC events.  

And that's a wrap for the beach movies, 2014 edition.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I generally read your movie reviews before going to see a film because they seem to predict well whether or not I am going to enjoy a movie. Sooo, would you be willing to say what you thought of "The Machine"? I have been hesitant to get it because I have heard nothing about it.

Snowpiercer didn't do much for me beyond the pretty filming- too derivative and an unbelievable premise- but my non-sci fi reading friends loved it because they hadn't seen/read/thought about any of the tropes.

Best,
Sonya Lawson

Mark said...

Sure, Sonya, I'd be happy to give you some quick thoughts on The Machine.

It's a weak movie, but we enjoyed parts of it. The director seemed unable to make up his mind about whether he was making his own version of Her or something rather different. He also clearly had a very limited budget, so the effects were sub-par. On balance, I'd say it's worth watching if you're into movies related to the Kurzweilian-type singularity (I am), but otherwise, wait for it to be available for free somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Labels

Blog Archive