Monday, June 2, 2014

Maleficent


I don't go to many Disney movies that don't come from Pixar, but this one intrigued me.  Maybe it's because, like many people, I'm a sucker for the gimmick of exploring different ways of retelling classic fairy tales.  Maybe it's because I love Angelina Jolie.  Whatever the reason, I checked out Maleficent the other night. 

Though it's not a great film, it is a good one, and I'm glad I went to see it.  Jolie's performance is wonderful, completely compelling despite the make-up and the weird lines it gave her already razor-sharp cheekbones.  Sharlto Copley chews the scenery with abandon and to generally good result.  Elle Fanning is exactly as the princess usually is, which is to say pretty and among the least interesting characters in the story.

I won't spoil any of the plot for you, because it does its best to surprise you, but if you don't see the ending "twist" coming, I'll be stunned. 

If you could go to only one of Chef or Maleficent, I'd of course recommend Chef, but if you've already seen that wonderful movie and are seeking an additional diversion, give Maleficent a chance. 



No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive