Sunday, November 3, 2013

On the road again: Worldcon, Brighton, day 4
London, day 1


Brighton graced us with sunny skies today, so the views everywhere, even out my room's window, improved greatly.

Click on an image to see a larger version.

Inside the hotel, the main event of the day was the World Fantasy Con banquet and then the presentation of the British Fantasy Awards and the World Fantasy Awards.  A singing trio and vaguely disco house lights gave the 1:00 p.m. meal a bit of a surreal atmosphere, but everyone I saw seemed to be reasonably happy with the affair. 


Our table included long-time friend and fan powerhouse, Peggy Rae Sapienza; new friend and Library of Congress SF person, Colleen Cahill; Fast Forward host Mike Zipser, who made me promise to do the show the next time I'm in the D.C. area; the talented and gracious artist, Lee Moyer; and fellow writer and serious foodie, Scott Edelman, to name but some of the folks with whom I shared the meal.  Our conversation topics ranged broadly, but foodie stories certainly dominated the discussion. 

After the ceremony, I rushed to my room, packed, and checked out.  Two and a half hours later, I emerged from the car service's comfortable ride into my residence until early Thursday morning, London's justly famous Savoy Hotel.  I first stayed here on a whirlwind London visit for Ziff-Davis right before Christmas in 1992, so I was excited to get to try the completely renovated version of this classic hotel. 

It is lovelier and nicer than I remember it.  Even the light-poles at the main auto entrance to the hotel sport a bit of fancy, in this case a topiary version of Kaspar, the Savoy hotel cat. 


I've stayed completely current with work so far, so I will begin tomorrow caught up.  I expect to fall behind as I tourist as much as I can, and I have an appointment to sign stock tomorrow at a bookstore; more on that then.

I look forward to my first full day in London in many a year. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive