Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Way, Way Back


I don't want to tell you anything about this movie, because I don't want to ruin a single second of it for you.  So, I'll lead instead with this:  Go see this movie.  Do not miss it.

The Way, Way Back (the title in some places omits the comma, but I love the comma for reasons you'll understand after you've seen it) is quite simply the best film I've seen in quite a little while.  It's a quiet gem, never flashy but nearly always right on the mark.

This movie has it all:  Story, dialog, acting, cinematography, directing--every element of it delivers the goods.  

It's not a perfect film, though it's as close to one as I've seen in many, many a month.  I could tell you where I think it went a little too far or didn't hit a note perfectly, but I suspect my list of tiny imperfections would differ slightly from yours.

Its ending is as perfect a single, simple grace note as I have seen in a movie, exactly right for all that has preceded it.

Seriously, don't miss this one.  Catch it in the theater, then buy the DVD and watch it again. 


No comments:

Labels

Blog Archive